Share your coding samples or ask questions

Question A new .co.cc domain cannot be registered. Has .co.cc shut down?

More
11 years 5 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #154 by roller
**%%-%%##

close-closekeep

I have a couple of domain names registered with .co.cc, or should I say sub-domains. I mainly use them for testing and during building a website for a client as a temporary name if they didn't have a name yet.

Yesterday I was checking a site from my work and I wasn't able to get to it using fracta.co.cc. The browser message said that the DNS could not be resolved.

I was suspecting my company filter or DNS server was the cause and even thought it might be a temporary issue. I was able to still get to the site from my mobile at that time, the name was still possibly still in my ISP's cache.

Today I checked again and no luck. After digging in a bit I found out that .co.cc has possibly shut down. When I checked the main DNS servers I found no record for this domain exists any more.

No one knows why but when I visited their website from my mobile, which I was still able to do, I couldn't log in. I was redirected to a message "A new .co.cc domain cannot be registered".

To bad for all those people who had a name with them, they probably lost a bit of traffic. There were a lot of spammers and malware sites using their service and Google blocked them from search results for a while now. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by roller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds