Welcome to the fracta.net forum!

Share your coding ideas or ask questions.

Question ntdll.dll causing Excel to crash and freeze and my VBA code stopped working

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #646 by roller
Excel started crashing when running my VBA code - errors in the event log are at the bottom of this post.

I thought I'd share my solution to this problem that seemed to appear out of nowhere in the last couple of month. Searching the topic will find you many proposed solutions such as changing the View settings and thumbnail option for folders from the Explorer options, updating the registry long file path entry to 1 from 0 and updating the graphics card drivers - but none worked in my case.

This problem is only observed on one of the PCs we use but the macro is working fine on all the other PCs.

Some forums pointed towards a heap_corruption so after hours and days trying to find a solution why my VBA macro from several years that has been working flawlessly started crashing and freezing Excel - I thought it may have to do something with some antivirus software blocking code from executing. The only non standard antivirus program on that PC was Malwarebytes. I disabled all protection modes and ran my VBA code and behold no crash. I turn it back on and Excel crashes. So I went trough the settings one by one and finally narrowed down to the Exploit Protection: Prevent vulnerability exploits and zero-day attacks setting. I left this one off and had no no problems since.

Error Event log:

The program EXCEL.EXE version 14.O.7180.5001 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the
problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 2c2c
Start Time 01ð2bfc55792ab41
Termination Time: 7
Application path Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Otficel4\EXCEL.XE
Report Id: de778344-2bb9-1 1 e7- bdfe-f46dO4eba14
Faulting package full name
Faulting package-relative application lO

Or this error

Faulting application name EXCEL.EXE version: 14.0.7180.5001, time stamp 0x5.Šdcb3d

Faulting module name ntdll.dll version: 10.0.14393.479, time stamp: 0x5825&ca0

Exception code 0xc000374

Fault offset 0x000d9d11

Faulting process & 0x3218

Faulting application start time 0x01

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files Cx86)\Microsoft Office\Officel4\EXCEL.EXE

Faulting module path; C:\WlNDOWSSY5TEM32\ntdll.dll

Report id 5f01350a-dlb6-4ef2-8b5e-2b6b]3b2a0a2
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by roller.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds